The Golden Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golden Realm

The Legend of Zelda Second Life RP Admin Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Classes vs. No Classes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf

Classes vs. No Classes Empty
PostSubject: Classes vs. No Classes   Classes vs. No Classes EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 6:07 am

I am highly considering scrapping the current classes and abilities and instead allowing players to select one weakness and one resistance (or neither a weakness nor a resistance, a la the human class).
My reasons:

1. The main purpose of classes in the first place was to determine what players' elemental weaknesses and resistances were.

2. The second purpose was to determine what would happen when a player entered water, but this seems virtually obsolete. It could come back later, but it isn't very developed right now anyway, or very useful at the moment.

3. I am starting to dislike the 'abilities' feature. Many of them would be better suited for magic spells than abilities.

4. This would allow for more customizable classes. I have planned on using a similar system for the zrcs enemy hud that Gemenai suggested in a different thread. Basically, you choose what you are immune to/strong against and what you are particularly vulnerable to.

5. People are often confused by the classes. They see them as their character's race/species. The human class encompasses all humans (Gerudo, Hylian, etc.) because they all share elemental weaknesses and resistances, but most people expect a separate class for each faction of human. The fact is, there is no need for separate classes designed for every race of humans, or of any other species. Anything more specific than human can be specified in the second line of the floating text above the players' heads. Anyway, eliminating classes would do out with the confusion.

Opinions? Please tell.
Back to top Go down
Daimondheart

Daimondheart

PostSubject: Re: Classes vs. No Classes   Classes vs. No Classes EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 am

Well... if classes had more effects on your character, then I would keep them. For example, say being a wizard lengthens your magic bar but you take extra damage from physical attacks or your physical attacks are weaker. Or perhaps classes granted special abilities like giving warriors a shield bash attack that stuns opponents for a few rounds.

But if it's simply this for that resistance stuff, then yeah, I'd do away with classes. Less confusion that way.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Classes vs. No Classes   Classes vs. No Classes EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:27 am

I believe I will do away with them in v1.4. They can be revived in the future if need be, but I don't think they will be missed. Variations such as the ones you mentioned (extra magic for wizards, etc.) can be managed in other ways. Ways that I think would work better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Classes vs. No Classes   Classes vs. No Classes Empty

Back to top Go down

Classes vs. No Classes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Golden Realm :: Second Life :: ZRCS-
Jump to: