The Golden Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golden Realm

The Legend of Zelda Second Life RP Admin Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Slower Swings

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Daimondheart

Daimondheart

Slower Swings Empty
PostSubject: Slower Swings   Slower Swings EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 10:23 am

I know it sounds crazy, but as I've been messing around with my two handed sword using the wooden sword scripts, I noticed the scripts allowed me to swing faster than I really could with my sword. (If I tapped a direction rapidly, I could hear another swing before my animation even finished.) So, crazy as it may sound, I think there should be a slower option added for those of us using really big weapons. Yeah, I know. There will be those that max out their speed regardless of how big their weapon is, but it would be nice for us that like authenticity. I believe the slowest a sword can go right now is .5, so .75 would do nicely.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf

Slower Swings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slower Swings   Slower Swings EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:24 am

That can be done. The animations are free ones that I found, as I am not a skilled animator myself. I've thought of hiring someone to create new animations, but I instead redesigned the scripts to allow for custom anims. People tend to want to use their own anyway, so it seemed to be the best idea.

I have thought before of using slower attack speeds in zrcs weapons. On top of that, I've considered letting slower weapons have a higher attack capability. For example, an attack speed of one swing per second may be available with a higher maximum damage than the current melee scripts. Using the formula I have for melee costs, the price would be exactly the same. Basically, double the damage and double the time it takes to swing, and the weapon's cost won't change. This would allow for heavy weapon classes without overpowering or under-powering anyone
Back to top Go down
Daimondheart

Daimondheart

Slower Swings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slower Swings   Slower Swings EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 1:30 pm

That sounds awesome! Looking forward to seeing that coming into the system. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DoomRater
Admin
DoomRater

Slower Swings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slower Swings   Slower Swings EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 5:10 am

Bit of a note: It IS possible to deal more damage with a high damage weapon initially than with a fast weapon. Simply spin attack while entering range and perform your usual attack after. Due to the timing this will produce more damage initially than the other weapon will
Back to top Go down
http://www.wetheplayers.net
Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf

Slower Swings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slower Swings   Slower Swings EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 10:02 am

Yes, this would.

Right now, zrcs melee weapons attack, then wait until the user can swing again. I believe I will reverse this, so that they wait (and play sounds/anims) and THEN cause damage. As it is, a weapon with a 5 second wait time (hypothetically of course) would still cause instantaneous damage when swung. It would simply be un-swingable for 5 seconds afterwards. Since slow weapons are typically more damaging, this would be a problem. Switching the order from attack-and-wait to wait-and-attack would fix this.

Shoulda done this a long time ago
Back to top Go down
DoomRater
Admin
DoomRater

Slower Swings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slower Swings   Slower Swings EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 11:33 am

Most fighting games use a warmup-attack-cooldown period for all attacks to leave openings in places. This was a concept I attempted to explain a while back when the system was formulating and it's a tried-and-true method. However changing the weapon styles now will ultimately result in a lot of relearning the system, giving newcomers a potential advantage. Keep that in mind when you make any changes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wetheplayers.net
Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf

Slower Swings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slower Swings   Slower Swings EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 12:50 pm

I actually thought of that between my last post and now. It's a winner. Thank you.

Also, I'm not too worried about people relearning the system. Ultimately, the purpose here is to improve the melee combat, to make it more realistic and strategic. This change would be coupled with the inability to move while swinging a weapon, a change that by itself will change the feel of melee combat. At any rate, these changes should at the very least decrease the amount of thoughtless button-mashing. I keep a copy of all of the older versions of my products, so I feel free to experiment. Worst case, the changes made can be quickly undone.

I don't see that happening though. I have faith in them.
Back to top Go down
Daimondheart

Daimondheart

Slower Swings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slower Swings   Slower Swings EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 2:11 pm

Awesome! I love where this is going.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Slower Swings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slower Swings   Slower Swings Empty

Back to top Go down

Slower Swings